Pages

Thursday, September 4, 2008

I Spy - Oh No

Last night I got home from the airport in time to rewind the DVR to watch Sarah Palin's premature acceptance speech (she wasn't yet officially nominated). I was pretty eager to see how it would all play out. Overall: good speech. I enjoyed the not-so-subtle sarcasm and jabs directed at the opposition. I'd prefer a political system without all the games, but that's not a realistic wish. So, observing shrewd tactics is enjoyable to me. Anyhow, she seemed real - like that co-worker in senior management or friend of your parents that is just sharp, witty, good-looking, family-oriented... and seemingly sincere. But, as I was watching, I couldn't help to notice her lapel.

I was in bed in the dark. What was that on her lapel? It was a pin of sorts. It was not an American flag... no, it was... Oh no... Was she wearing a lapel pin of the Israeli flag. Now, I'm going to try to keep this short. I could write on and on and on with this subject. We can save some of that for later.

Note: Some people think this may have been a Blue Star Service Pin for those with family in the military; it doesn't look like that to me at all. After further review, I think this might be the case. This thread shows some pretty good pictures - you make the call. But, this lead to some good discussion anyways.

With a little bit of research, I learned a few things. First, she spent a good deal of Tuesday with Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-CT) meeting with AIPAC. If you've never heard of AIPAC, then first go visit Wikipedia and then their own website. In short, they are the most powerful pro-Israel lobby in the U.S., if not the most powerful lobby in the U.S. period. Second, she apparently already had an Israeli flag in her office in Alaska. Third, some news articles have surfaced quoting her with some Christian rhetoric in regards to the war in Iraq. Fourth, Rep. Robert Wexler (D-FL) had already come out and attacked her in regards to her support for Israel due in large part to her alleged support and association with Pat Buchanan. As some elements of the Left will tell you, Buchanan is an anti-Semitic Nazi sympathizer (I do not subscribe to this opinion).

So, there is a lot of problems with this situation. I don't want to get into why it is problematic to be unabashedly pro-Israel, nor do I want to explore the deep hold on Washington which AIPAC holds. But, taken those as givens for a moment... was she already staunchly pro-Israel? If so, why? Does she feel it is her Christian duty as some do? Or, have (will) the lobbyists from AIPAC (whom, by the way, should maybe be called something other than lobbyists since Obama and McCain are pretty friendly with them, but they'd have you believe that lobbyists are evil) swooped in like vultures to ensure that this green young VP candidate will capitulate to them like the rest of Washington? I thought she was supposed to be different... (No, I'm not that naive.)

By the way, wasn't Obama ridiculed for not wearing an American flag pin? Is an Israeli flag pin a reasonable substitute? What if Obama wore a French flag pin... I bet that would cause quite a stir.

In case you are wondering... I am not an anti-Semite.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2008/09/10/palin_source/

Matt Wittlief said...

It's a bit of a stretch to say that because she quoted this guy, that she's somehow a bigot. The quote is a bit innocuous, or, at a minimum, hints at some class warfare. It's not as if that door wasn't already opened up by Obama. According to the Wikipedia entry on Pegler, this quote also showed up in a Pat Buchanan book. I wouldn't be surprised if that is where speechwriter Scully yanked it from.

As for Pegler's views on FDR, while I won't say I would have wished an assasination upon him, he was on of our most dangerous and abusive Presidents.

Ryan said...

at some point, can you write a post to elaborate on the FDR issue? i'd imagine you're in the minority here, given that he was reelected 3 times.

Matt Wittlief said...

Will do.