Pages

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Loose Ends... Vol. III

I was on the road at the beginning of the week again this week, so I didn't get my full dose of current events. But, it was a pretty slow week on the national stage again leading up to the Olympics. The opening ceremony was very good, I thought, and W was there to represent. Former presidential candidate, John Edwards, admitted to an affair in the moments leading up to the media's distraction with the games in China. I'm going to skip talking about national issues in this post and focus on some local items of interest.

This week, I actually brought in the mail one day and was treated with a pamphlet from my state representative, David Frizzell. Admittedly, I don't know too much about him. I'm going to need to change that - especially before the election in November. The talking points in his pamphlet are pretty focused on small government. Here are a couple key phrases: "Government is not the answer to all problems"; "We should hold the line on government interference and spending". He also highlights the following five points in what appears to be his platform:

1. Give taxpayers a vote on projects that will increase their taxes.
2. Non-elected boards should not have the power to raise taxes.
3. Trim the fat in state government.
4. Focus on classrooms.
5. Hoosier benefits for Hoosiers.

It is this fifth point which he dedicates two pages (50% of the total content) towards in the pamphlet in expressing his "[frustration] with the federal government's longstanding unwillingness" to address illegal immigration. Seems like a bit of overkill to me, but this is an area where I need to do some further research before this November's elections.

In other local election news, on the way to work listening to Abdul in the Morning I caught about half of their interview with Nels Ackerson, Democratic candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives in Indiana's 4th District. The bit that I caught was good. He scolded both sides of the aisle for the on-going political games and posturing pitting the #dontgo Republicans against Nancy Pelosi (D-CA). I plan on spending some more time on Ackerson's site and researching all of the Indiana races. Could this be a Democrat receiving my endorsement? He won't get my vote, because I live in the 5th District.

Finally, tonight, while watching primetime Olympic coverage, the local news commercial highlighted a story of a campaign to reform Indiana's blue laws. Currently, it is against state law to purchase packaged liquor on Sundays in this state. Check out the "Hoosiers for Beverage Choices" website. I tried to sign the online petition, but the site was having technical difficulties. I'll blame it on website issues instead of a prohibitionist conspiracy... for now.

No comments: