Pages

Friday, March 27, 2009

Creepy...

This is probably just my weirdness but every time I see Timothy Geithner testifying in a Congressional hearing, this image immediately pops into my head--

(Photo from startrek.com)


I know it's not very nice, but I see a very creepy resemblance...

(Image from pbs.org)

I also find it delightfully ironic that the Ferengi race (from Star Trek, the character above is a Ferengi named Quark who frequently appeared on DS9) is largely characterized as a race of merchants who are obsessed with profit above all else. Their religion is even based upon this principle--they offer prayers and offerings to a "Blessed Exchequer" and hope to enter the "Divine Treasury" in the afterlife. Ferengi live by the guidelines set forth in their "Rules of Acquisition" (there are 285) which are said to be divinely inspired; these include such gems as "once you have their money, you never give it back" and "never be afraid to mislabel a product." There was even an episode of Voyager that made reference to the Ferengi's "religious reverence" for Earth's Wall Street, where they routinely visit on pilgrimage to the "holy site of commerce and business."

Yikes...we'd better watch out...I'm starting to think Geithner is a Ferengi in disguise. :)

No comments: