Pages

Monday, June 22, 2009

Quit complaining...maybe give your Congressperson a hug instead

I admit that I quite enjoy browsing through the GovTrack "Introduced Legislation" feed that I follow in my Google Reader...it's amazing some of the bills I see there (from title alone). Some of them I've pointed out in previous posts. Yesterday, I came across another that, after reading the full text, I feel that I am obligated to share it here in toto. The bill is H. Con. Res. 155 introduced by Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, D-MO.

Supporting the goals and ideals of 'Complaint Free Wednesday'.

Whereas the average person complains approximately 15 to 30 times per day, resulting in roughly 4,500,000,000 complaints spoken every day in the United States;

Whereas complaining keeps people focused on current problems stultifying their innate abilities to seek and create positive, harmonious solutions;

Whereas complaining has been shown by research psychologists to be detrimental to a person's physical and emotional health, relationships, and to limit their career success;

Whereas the 'A Complaint Free World' organization is to be recognized for its efforts to encourage people to redirect their minds toward more positive, constructive, and rewarding lives and for its goal to positively inspire at least 1 percent of the global population (60 million people) to become complaint free;

Whereas thousands of people across the United States, including many students, have already adopted the complaint free attitude; and

Whereas 'Complaint Free Wednesday' will be observed on the day before Thanksgiving, providing each person in the United States a day free from complaining in order to prepare for a day of gratitude: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved by the House of Representatives (the Senate concurring), That Congress--

(1) supports the goals and ideals of Complaint Free Wednesday;

(2) encourages each person in the United States to remember that having a positive life begins with having a positive attitude; and

(3) recognizes and reaffirms the meaning of Thanksgiving by asking each person in the United States to use 'Complaint Free Wednesday' to refrain from complaining and prepare for a day of gratitude.

Sigh...I find it sad that I'm no longer surprised to find this sort of thing as an official piece of legislation introduced in our Congress. A few notes--I found it quite amusing that the text of the bill makes it seem like the 4.5 billion "complaints spoken every day in the United States" is an outrageously large number when, compared with the huge numbers found in the recent relief and stimulus programs, it's really a drop in the bucket. Yes, I realize that there's not really a comparison between "complaints" and dollars but what I'm talking about is the undertone I detect there. Maybe I'm just nuts. I also thought it was pretty darn funny that they're encouraging us to "stop complaining" when I'm guessing the government is behind (in some fashion) most of the things that are complained about!

If you have some time, I'd highly recommend checking out the webpage for the aforementioned 'A Complaint Free World' organization...very amusing.

No comments: