Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Great Transcender or Great Pretender

Instead of looking at tonight's election results, I'd like to take a quick look back at the election of Barack Obama one year ago.

I believe that many Americans felt that Barack Obama would be the Great Transcender. Obama ran a brilliant campaign on a message of hope and change. He sent a message that he would transcend politics as usual and change the way Washington works. While I didn't buy this completely, it was the sliver of hope in this message that led me to support Obama over McCain. (I voted for Barr.)

Instead, I think Obama has exemplified politics as usual. In fact, I'd say he is an amazing politician. His oratory, his rhetoric, his team, his demeanor... he's good. But, he transcends nothing. He has embraced Wall Street and the coporatists. He has indulged his base while simultaneously disappointing them. He has made both real and token gestures to the GOP while engaging in classic partisan attacks. He has reneged on his promise to bring transparency to legislation. He stands ready to deploy our military as the world's police. Shall I go on?

He is the Great Pretender.

No comments: