Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A True American

I'm watching the health care forum hosted by Rep. Ron Kind (D-WI) and was inspired to transcribe the comments of one of his constituents:
I have three brief points I would like to make.

Number one: I am concerned about a once free people, a once brave people. Never trade freedom for security or you will lose both. Representative Kind, I heard you say that in these debates we should respect one another. With that advice in mind, I would like you tell Nancy Pelosi that we are not un-American. I would like you to tell Harry Reid that we are not hate-mongers. I would like you to tell your fellow Senators and Congressmen that we are not a mob, we are not Nazis, we are not the Ku-Klux-Klan, and we have nothing in common with the likes of Timothy McVeigh. We are Americans simply exercising our Constitutional rights.

Also, please tell your community-organizing President to get used to an organized community.

And finally, point number three, I'm going to quote a very wise man, one C.S. Lewis:
Of all the tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better under robber barons than under omnipotent, moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty will sometimes sleep. His cupidity may at some point be satiated. But those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-Jerry Brogden, Colfax, WI

Well said, Jerry. It is not un-American to stand up for what you believe in without having to be connected to criminals. Free speech is a wonderful thing no matter your opinion.

No comments: