Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Wait and See With Skepticism

I have to admit (again) that Obama is one talented speaker. I'm watching his town hall from Tuesday in Portsmouth, NH. He is smooth, makes jokes, and is very comfortable with the audience. I do promise to weigh-in on the whole health care and insurance debate sometime soon... but not tonight.

There has been a lot of talk on the cost of this legislation. Obama has repeatedly insisted that he will not sign a bill which will add to the deficit or debt. He has also promised not to raise taxes. I cannot fathom how all the pieces of this puzzle can come together without promises being broken.

This has been a fascinating, disturbing and frustrating debate. It will continue for several more weeks if not months. It seems to me that it will be unlikely for things to cool off before this is all over. I wasn't paying much attention before two years ago, but I don't recall a time in my lifetime where the civil divide was this deep.

No comments: