Pages

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Loose Ends... Vol. XI

Well, so much for the courage that our House of Representatives displayed on Monday. The "rescue plan" sailed through the Senate on Wednesday as an amendment to a bill which had already passed the House. It can back to the House, complete with extra pork, for debate and concurrence on Friday. It passed.

This week has made me think more and more about what I can or should do about this. I believe that our country is on a serious collision course for peril. I hope it is only economic peril, but I fear greater consequences. It is a long time in the making... and I plan on researching, analyzing and informing you as my discovery expands. In the meantime, I'll keep posting and keep reading. I'm not sure what else to do at this point.

Speaking of reading... this week I read The Law by Frédéric Bastiat. In a word it is brilliant. Bastiat lived in France in the first half of the nineteenth century. His political and economic philosophy serves as a fundamental backbone of libertarian ideals. It is a short read, and I recommend it highly to everyone (it is available online here).

Bastiat elegantly argues that everyone is entitled to life, liberty and property. Everyone is entitled to protect these from the plunder of others. I will spare you any more details because you should read it yourself!

This essay is of particular relevance this week as we see the government steal more money from taxpayers (no, this is not a patriotic act) to invest in risky financial derivatives in the hopes of "protecting Main Street"... how arrogant! The government got us into this mess and they will not get us out of this mess - it will get worse.

My next reading adventure (and this is a long one) is The Theory of Money and Credit by Ludwig von Mises. I feel I need to get more acquainted with economic theory, and I believe that my instincts align most closely with those of the Austrian School.

I leave you tonight with a quote from another work by Bastiat entitled Government:

"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."

No comments: