Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Who's throwing away their vote?

I have not yet posted here and probably won't often, but I'd like to get this out there.

I live in Chicago and pretty much all my social circles are filled with democrats who support Obama. Some are die hard supporters who have worked on campaigns others are less enthusiastic. When political discussions arise and I mention that I will not be voting for Obama, most people are initially appalled. When I tell them that I will also not be voting for McCain they are less appalled. Then comes the ubiquitous response that a vote against the two party system is a 'thrown away vote.' Most people express their mutual disgust with the political machine and that they, like me, wish it wasn't like that. Many people feel this is too important of an election to take a stand at this time. I'd like to ask the question "Do you think Obama has a chance of losing the state of Illinois in the upcoming election?" Here is an article discussing how Obama is winning big in polls in Illinois, which I'm sure everyone would find as no surprise. So I am suggesting that this IS the year for people who wish they could vote independent and not feel like they are going to 'throw away their vote' to do so. I would hope everyone would do this, but particularly people who live in states that are not considered to be swing states. Make a statement and vote for a third party. I would argue that voting for the two party system in a state that is considered a 'lock' is more likely 'throwing away your vote' than if you vote for a third party.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said it. A person not voting is a throw away vote. It is my right to use my vote as I choose. I am an indivisual who is part of a united country, by which I mean to allow the vote of the people speak. Now, do we as a people truly become heard...No. The electoral vote sees to this.

Both parties, in my opinion, have become so large and powerful that they themselves have become monopolies. My vote will go to the candidate I feel represents me and my lines of thought, not lines set by others.

Matt Wittlief said...

You're dead on, Joel, regarding the monopolistic nature of the political parties. They are in office, have every intention of staying in office, and right the laws to keep the other parties out of office. They do this via the unconstitutional Federal Election Commission and its campaign finance laws - including, but not limited to, the funding of conventions for the Republicans and Democrats.
It is more sinister on the state level where ballot access laws are arbitrary and biased in many states. Additionally, state governments fund the primary election process which is a merely a competition to win the nominations of private organizations (the RNC and DNC). If you are an independent or belong to a minor party, your tax dollars are being used to fund their selection process.