Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Tonight's Letter to Lugar

Senator Lugar,

I write to you alone tonight because I expected more from you. I must say I am deeply saddened and disappointed with your vote this evening. I empathize with your fears that we face economic hardship. I recognize that Congress feels it must act. It is painful to see the government abdicate its constitutional duties yet again in the name of the greater good. Our founding fathers were wise to place limits on government. As a nation, we have increasingly neglected the wisdom and prudence of great minds such as Jefferson, Madison, Franklin and Henry. I feel like I have now officially lost my liberty as the government will truly do anything they deem necessary. Once this sentiment is entrenched, as I had already feared it had, the only thing I can look forward to is a new government which respects all of its citizens - not just the ones it feels need special attention in a given moment. America is still strong. The people are still strong. We can endure hardship. Search your feelings... I hope you realize that you have made the impending economic failure that much worse tonight.

Respectfully,
Matt Wittlief

No comments: