Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Loose Ends... Vol. XVII

A couple of quick loose ends tonight.

*****

This bailout garbage has to stop. It is now becoming more evident by the day that the initial $700B "rescue" package has either a) not worked and/or b) not been implemented as promised. Folks, remember how we were told that the world would end as we know it if we did not pass the bill? Remember how we had to buy the "troubled assets" (hence the name TARP) in order to save the system? We didn't buy the troubled assets. The only tarp that Paulson has used is the one in which he's covered up his actions and true intentions, along with his accomplice, Ben Bernanke.

*****

The new Indianapolis airport terminal opened this week. I've been wanting to do a story on the renaming of the "Airport Expressway" as "Sam Jones Expressway" for some time now. I have not had a chance. So, the short version is this... did we really need to spend taxpayer money to rename the highway? Seriously. Who's paying for this? Who is Sam Jones anyway?

*****

Tonight on 60 Minutes, I heard Barack Obama call for a playoff system to decide the national champion in NCAA Division I football. For those of you who are not football fans, the national championship, called the BCS (Bowl Championship Series), is decided by a poll of experts. They vote on the champion (with the help of a computer ranking system).

You know what? I like it. And while we are at it, I think Obama should call for similar reform in the presidential election. I've already discussed on this site how I think that American Idol provides a better system to choose the winner. The President-Elect seems to agree with me that a simple vote like we have on November 4th or like the pollsters have to choose the BCS champ may be insufficient. I call for the introduction of a tournament-style, American Idol-style election. In the weeks and months leading up to November 4th, we should start with a field of candidates for President. Each week there is a debate and the winners advance based on a popular vote. The field should narrow down to two candidates who face off on Election Day.

I like that idea.

Good night!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you watch Conan O'Brien and happened to catch Jim Cramer from Mad Money on his show tonight, you might find his idea of a government bailout interesting: firebomb all the realestate that isn't selling. :) It would raise the surrounding home values immediately, Jim says.

Matt Wittlief said...

The problem with Jim is that people actually listen to him. He is entertaining. But, that's where it stops.

I'm sure he's joking, but who does he suggest takes the loss on the firebombed real estate? What he also fails to realize is that the real estate market must correct and prices must come down.

Finding new ways to artificially prop-up values will only make the eventual pain that much more severe.

pdub said...

I've got to agree with the city on changing the name of the airport expressway since it seems it will no longer go to the airport.

Matt Wittlief said...

Yeah... I suppose. I didn't know that it wouldn't go to the airport. I guess that would be confusing.